Iranian ‘guards’ bombard northern Erbil and Baghdad condemns

Iranian ‘guards’ bombard northern Erbil and Baghdad condemns

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry stressed the importance of addressing challenges through dialogue


Thursday – 11 Shawwal 1443 AH – 12 May 2022 AD Issue No. [
15871]


Revolutionary Guards ground unit commander Muhammad Bakpour monitors border areas with the Kurdistan region during military exercises in June 2020 (Tasnim)

London – Baghdad – Tehran: “Asharq Al-Awsat”

Yesterday, Iraq condemned the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ bombardment of northern Erbil, the capital of Iraq’s Kurdistan region, targeting what Iranian television described as “terrorist bases.” Jerusalem”.
And Iraqi Kurdish media reported that an artillery shell fell in a village in the Saydkan region near the Iranian border, about 100 km northeast of Erbil. The Iraqi Foreign Ministry condemned the Iranian attack, which it said targeted certain sites in Sidekan. The ministry said in a statement: “The Iraqi government condemns the Iranian bombardment, which targeted a number of sites in the Sidekan area of ​​Erbil, in the Kurdistan region of Iraq.”
The statement adds: “While we reaffirm the constitutional content, that Iraqi territory should not be used as a headquarters or a corridor to threaten the security of neighboring countries, we at the same time underline the importance of relying on dialogue and its durability to face the challenges. , especially those of security, in a way that preserves Iraq’s sovereignty and enhances the security and stability of the region.”
Iranian television said no deaths or injuries had been reported. In turn, the Revolutionary Guards’ “Tasnim” agency said its forces had previously targeted Iranian Kurdish militants stationed in northern Iraq. The agency said that “the armed forces of the Islamic Republic, in particular the Revolutionary Guards, have repeatedly warned that they cannot tolerate any activity and presence of armed terrorist groups in the northwestern border strip. of the country, and will direct a firm action and destructive response if destabilizing activities are detected.” The Erbil-based news site Rudaw reported that a local official said shells had fallen in the area from time to time in the past. Rudaw quoted the Sidkan district manager as saying that “the bombardment is far from populated areas, and no human or material loss has been recorded”. The website cites a local source as saying that the Revolutionary Guards are setting up artillery in the heights of Dolmidan, and from there directing long-range missiles towards the Bradost area in the Kurdistan region.
A few hours after the artillery bombardment, the public relations department of the base of Hamza Sayyid al-Shuhada, the headquarters of the Revolutionary Guards, announced that the ground forces of the Revolutionary Guards had arrested “members of a ‘terrorist cell’ made up of five people.
The Revolutionary Guards statement said, “Following the recent evil actions of terrorist groups, a process of world domination in dispatching terrorist cells to influence and carry out destabilizing operations in our lands. The statement added: “In the context of the confessions of the members of the cell on their objectives and intentions of sabotage, the bases and the headquarters of the terrorists in the Kurdistan region were bombarded.
In a small jet lag, the Tasnim agency reported, quoting an informed source, who did not reveal his identity, that the security services had arrested the kidnappers of a man named Mansour Rasouli in recent days, and it appeared in a video published by Israeli media. as an officer of the “Quds Force” and tried to organize an operation Assassination of an American general, a French journalist and an Israeli diplomat.
And Israeli sources disclosed last week that a squad made up of “Mossad” and “Shin Bet” men was investigating Iranian territory with an officer from the “Quds Force” Unit 860 who prepared for assassinations. According to Israeli sources, foiling the assassinations “was instrumental in persuading US President Joe Biden to reverse his intention to remove the Guard from the list of terrorist organizations.”
Later, Revolutionary Guard websites published a video of Rasouli, who recounts being kidnapped and forced to make such a confession about a year ago.
For its part, the news channel Iran International, based in London, has revealed new details about the identity of Rasouli. According to the channel’s report, Rasouli is “a mafia member working for (the Revolutionary Guards), who launders money through a cooperative society for residents of border areas called (Dalaber), and added: “In exchange for cooperation with (the Guard) he obtains licenses and unlicensed imports.
In March, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards launched an attack on what Iranian state media described as “Israeli strategic centers” in Erbil, describing it as a response to Israeli airstrikes that killed Iranian soldiers in Syria. The KRG said the March attack only targeted civilian residential areas, not sites in foreign countries, and called on the international community to investigate.
Iraqi Foreign Minister Fouad Hussein visited Tehran on April 13 and called during a press conference with his Iranian counterpart, Hussein Amir Abdollahian, to “resolve the security problems that arise between the two countries” through dialogue. He said he had “had (important) and (frank) talks”, stressing that “the security of the two countries is linked to the security of the region”.


Iran

Iraq News

Leave a Comment