The activities of the 88th session of the Arabic Language Academy, which was held under the title “Arabization of Sciences: Experiences, Problems and Solutions,” ended and sought to hold dialogue sessions. Dr. Salah Fadl, President of the Arabic Language Academy, made a number of statements, including:
– The Arabic Language Academy in Cairo passed the first digital test this year, and this test was the test of the mother complex, and other academies in the Arab world have preceded us.
This year’s conference sessions have witnessed a perseverance, activity and participation that we have not seen at previous conferences. Thanks to the efforts of the heads of the Arab councils, members of the Egyptian synod and correspondents.
– In this conference, we have created several discussion sessions, and these sessions have succeeded in establishing an intimate connection between our work in the complex and the cultural, scientific and literary life in Egypt and the Arab world.
We have also created a chair – almost everyone whose time has increased – for the morning and evening scientific sessions, so there is no longer anyone who has extended their time, effort and ability to participate with us in the management of these sessions without doing so, and each of the members of the Synod from Egypt or abroad is a teacher at his doorstep, a scholar in his branch and a leader in his field, and fit to be our president at all . It’s a new tradition that we can take as our motto.
The processes of crossbreeding between different languages, and for us, in the Arabic language, we call this Arabization, are processes necessary for linguistic, intellectual and cultural development. A language can only be isolated if it suffers its fate of atrophy, disintegration and isolation. And the more her races were linked, and the more her causes were linked to other living languages, the more she blossomed, the more she was able to give.
Cycles of civilization: giving and receiving, and if we have gone through stages where we have taken from others, we have paid our debt more than once by exerting our great effort in an undeniable gift that has had a great impact on the modern European scientific renaissance; With that, there is absolutely nothing wrong today in going back and reaching out again in civilized courts to learn from the sciences of the West and the East, and take in the contemporary renaissance what we can take through Arabization, translation and other means by which minds are enriched, languages are enriched, nations are revitalized. Neither does the rebirth of a nation depend on engaging in the scientific prosperity movement.
– Arabization is not an option, and I do not think that any of us – however patriotic his enthusiasm, and however patriotic his feeling – deny the necessity of Arabization, or deny its merit, either pretends to be able to do without it, or one devotes oneself to oneself while ruminating; For then our destiny will be decadence, isolation and estrangement from the civilization-making movement.
– Arabization is a necessity, and we practice it – whether we like it or not – but what we need – and this is what this conference wanted and everyone stressed – that Arabization be consciously, and that it is under conditions; The first condition: This does not push us at all to do without other languages, and we will only be able to take from the other if we have a container that allows this take. Our Arabic language is the wide and deep container which can absorb, adapt, absorb and take from others, and give what it takes its own character, its national character, its personal touch; We do not translate. Second condition: Arabization must be carried out by someone who masters both languages with the same degree of mastery; Because he who masters his own language cannot master a foreign language; Because linguistic competence is not divided into two parts; Whoever excels others in a foreign language, look for the reason, and you will find that his real reason is that he masters his Arabic language; Therefore, we have not found an eloquent writer or an eloquent writer who has not taken his destiny with a great share of the Noble Quran, the noble prophetic hadith, the ancient Arabic poetry and the eloquence of the eloquence.
Arabization is completely different from translation; To translate is to transmit the works of others as they are and to perceive their worlds, but Arabization is to look at our intellectual, linguistic, national and patriotic fabric and join it to our threads of silk and gold. that we have preserved from our scientific and literary heritage. , intellectual and cognitive heritage, and make this integrated fabric the civilizational preamble with which we share our present time.
Arabization is a necessity whose importance no one can deny, and no one can neglect the conditions necessary for its realization. The two most important conditions for Arabization are: that you master your language very well; Because if you don’t master it in its classical levels, and in its various manifestations, and in its human and scientific circles, and in all its stages – you can’t plant anything new in its cells, if you don’t know it. enough.
– The problem of teaching science in the real Arabic language is that many of those who work in these sciences do not know how to explain it in simple and understandable Arabic; It is the lack of mastery in explaining foreign sciences and Western terminology in an accessible and understandable Arabic language that distorts the image of our education and Arabization in our universities; Because students go to their teachers and hear nothing from them; They hear distorted foreign terms and find no definition, explanation or simplification of them in an appropriate Arabic language; The result is that they lose proficiency in the foreign language on the other hand, and order to this their lack of proficiency in the Arabic language on the other hand; Thus, they miss the opportunity for a true Arabization of education.
– If the teacher possesses his formal language and translates his writing with it, and is able to speak it orally at a simple level that the students can understand, then he is able to perform the purest Arabization processes automatically, without deliberately nor avoid it; Because it is an inherent necessary process.
Arabization is also carried out by a group of people to whom we do not give their right of honor and reverence, and they are translators, especially interpreters. At the beginning of my life, I worked in this difficult and difficult profession in which the human spirit is divided into two parts: one part receives the language it hears, and the part works at the same time Provided that it transfers what he has received in a fluent, correct and understandable Arabic language, in structure, language and semantics. When a person can possess this talent for interpretation in all political, economic, scientific, cultural and humanitarian forums, then he will be the most active element in the Arabization process.
– Many successful arabization processes with proper meditation, I find that they did not happen in our sessions, nor in forums or academies, but rather happened on the tongue of these talented young people who succeeded to split the hair into four two halves: the hair of this spirit so that one half works for reception and the other half works for transmission, and improvises for the word The new which it hears for the first time against him in his own language.
– I think that the translator who succeeds in this work is the most effective element in the Arabization process, and we do not give him his due. On the contrary, we give the right to those who study, reflect, discuss, do research sessions and review what they said yesterday to reconsider it today until they arrive at a formula; All of this scrutiny, understanding and revision is necessary, but the first class of Arabians are the translators, and we must give them their appreciation and praise.
Arabization can never demand the neglect of a foreign language, on the contrary; We will only succeed in Arabization if we are able to achieve the depth, fluency, originality and creativity of both languages together. Because I still believe that the one who reads in one language is like the one who looks in front of him with one eye, he will remain blind, and that the one who reads in two languages is the one who has two tools to look at him; Eyes together.
I don’t expect someone who is not fluent in a foreign language to have mastered the understanding of their national language or to be able to understand its secrets, and we may all have been aware of this since that we were students in our first schools and institutes; We find that the professor who graduated from a foreign or Western university is the one who fills our consciousness with knowledge, and it is he who fills our hearts with knowledge, and it is he who brings us new things. As for the professor who limits himself to reading his old heritage, he hardly understands it, and he derives almost nothing from it.